Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 22:24:13 EST

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 11:57:34PM +0200, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> now i know why we haven't heard of you for some time: you have
> been very busy... ;-)
>
> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 04:37:47PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>
> > I'm aware of the problem :-). Python programs can be compiled to
> > portable C sources using the `freeze' tool. The translation is
>
> So we are back a C sources. Let me ask you one thing: why not simply
> use ISO-C and be done with it? There are excelllent tools like yacc
> and lex for building parsers, why don't you use them to generate C
> code instead on an obscure script language. I know you really like
> Python, but face it: 90% of the folks on this list probaly don't.

As much as I hate Python you would have to be masochistic to try
and code something like this in straight C. The string and regex
capabilities in Python/Perl/Tcl make things a lot simpler plus a
lot easier to maintain.

Python can generate C source code output so it is not a delivery
problem. If you don't like Python that's OK too, because I don't
particularly like the spaghetti mess of Perl/Tcl/Tk/C/Bash we're
suffering with either.

Eric's thing sounds like an overall win. Complaints about Python
are really missing the point.