Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 21:55:59 EST

willy@thepuffingroup.com <willy@thepuffingroup.com>:
> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:45:50PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Basically, because managing memory by hand for this kind of application is
> > more pain than I want to go through. And the resulting program in C would
> > be far more complex and bug-prone.
>
> why even bother keeping track of memory? this is a run-and-exit program;
> the memory you used gets freed at exit.

That's not anywhere near a complete solution. Please trust me on
this, because otherwise I'd have to give you a longer brain dump on
the engineering of compilers and interpreters and the shortcomings of
C than I have time for right now.

I've written more of these than I can easily remember, it's my specialty.
It can be done in C (and about half of my projects demonstrate that I know
both the words and the music of that tune) but you sure don't want to unless
the production speed of the compiler/interpreter is a drop-dead issue.

Barring the mythical portable-LISP-dialect-with-good-OS-bindings that
has never existed, Python is about the most reasonable alternative
there is for this kind of work.

--

Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods. -- H.L. Mencken