Re: (reiserfs) NOT !! Re: (reiserfs) 2.3.99-pre9-5 fixed deadlocks with ReiserFS

From: Jedi/Sector One (j@4u.net)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 17:28:16 EST

"Cyrille Chepelov (home)" a écrit :
> The -pre9 + reiserfs 3.6.5 combo is still definitely *DANGEROUS*.
> In particular, this breaks badly when you do a simple
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> When that happens, apt gets locked. Calling top, ps, killall, or even
> ls -l /proc/<pid>
> gives you a stuck, unkillable process.
> strace points its fingers at sys_mlock(), but I don't know how reliable
> this is.

  I had the same kind of problem with Star Office (either 5.1 or 5.2).
Star Office stucks at the end of its installation. Its process is
unkillable, and there is no way to cat /proc/<its pid>/anything.
Rebooting the machine is a mess because init does not want to kill it
and partitions don't get unmounted without sysrq.
  Straceing Star Office is quite difficult as it forks a lot, but it has
something to do with mmap() and page locking. Also, many previous read()
system calls are failing with "ressources temporary unavailable". Donnu
if it is related or not.

--
	 Frank DENIS aka Jedi/Sector One aka DJ Chrysalis <j@4u.net>
		-> Software : http://www.jedi.claranet.fr <-