Re: 2.3.99-pre9-5 fixed deadlocks with ReiserFS is not the case

From: Len Sorensen (lsorense@opengraphics.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 15:09:59 EST

> As you may know, there were some deadlock problems with ReiserFS 3.6.5 and
> kernel >= 2.3.99-pre7-4. I submitted a patch for this problem earlier but it
> also broke the swap-out code in some other cases. Fortunately, whatever was
> originally causing the race condition with ReiserFS and writing out dirty mmaped
> pages now appears to be fixed as of 2.3.99-pre9-5. I have not stress-tested this
> prepatch though, so others might want to confirm this too.

No the same problem still exists. I can still always lockup the same way
using apt-get update. It will lock at the 'scanning packages' step at 0%
and after that w, top, etc fail to do anything (besides locking up).

I suspect it may be a matter of the reiserfs code needing some small changes
to behave as the new filemap code expects, since ext2 works fine (as far as
I can tell at least).

Lennart Sorensen