Re: linux routing to multiple providers

From: Guus Sliepen (guus@warande3094.warande.uu.nl)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 13:38:41 EST

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Rob Hill wrote:

[...]
> put another network card in my firewall and I get my connection for ISP2 and
> run it into that NIC. How would I make both interfaces accessible from the
> Internet? Normally I only have one default gateway, but here I would have
> two. Also, how could I specify what machines internally would use ISP1 and
> which ones would use ISP2?

The firewall is the gateway. Compile a new kernel with these options:

IP: advanced router
IP: equal cost multipath

Use the iproute2 package to make outgoing connections take different paths
(ISP1 and ISP2). You can do so by using a command like:

ip route add default gw nexthop dev eth0 via <ISP1 gateway> nexthop dev
               eth1 via <ISP2 gateway>

But be sure to read the manual pages and kernel documentation.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Guus Sliepen.