Re: Ancient kernel TLB IPI WAIT

From: Rick Stevens (rstevens@publichost.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 10:48:23 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> In article <392ABDC9.B9846224@publichost.com> you wrote:
> > I hope this isn't too off topic, but I have a system that has been
> > misbehaving a bit. It's a RedHat 6.0-based system (2.2.5-15 SMP) that
> > has recently been locking up hard about once every 6 days or so.
> > The last messages in the syslog are "stuck on TLB IPI WAIT (CPU#0),"
> > although sometimes it's CPU#1 that complains.
>
> If you have a RTL8139 network NIC, that is the cause of the problems. Later
> kernels have this fixed.

Actually, I think it's just the really old kernel. We're running
a dual-port EEPRO 100 based on the Tulip chip. We have 12 systems
using this board, all with the same kernel, but only the one server
has problems. It is our LDAP server and LDAP is rather processor
intensive (with the LDBM backend). Our mail servers, for example,
have no such problems (well, they have other problems such as NFS,
but I know about those).

A kernel upgrade will either verify or dispute my assumptions.
Thanks for the information, though. I'll certainly keep it in mind.