VM problems and pre2

From: Sheer El-Showk (sheer@tartarus.netherrealm.net)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 02:06:58 EST

Does anyone know if the VM problems being discussed pertain to the pre2
kernel as well. I noticed my system started slowing down when I ran X
with a high-color backgrounds and hi-res (takes up a lot of memory and
constantly swapping), but I had no crashes. I upgraded to 256 megs of RAM
and all was good. Then I tried using matlab and running some
calculations with a lot of data (matlab has this cute _feature_ where it
never frees up used memory -- does anyone know if malloc is really that
slow or if swapping out causes worse overhead) and the whole machine froze
up on me. Also, before the crash performance was really bad -- I have an
SMP machine and kswapd took one entire processor. I am going to upgrade
to a newer kernel and get the classzone patch. Any idea whether this is
related to the current VM problems.

Sheer El-Showk