Re: pre9-4 OOM VM lockups

From: t.n.vanderleeuw@chello.nl
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 16:15:58 EST

On 23 May, Juan J. Quintela wrote:

> tim> Hi,
> tim> with pre9-3 and pre9-4 I'm experiencing lockups when OOM.
> tim> A random process will be killed (NOT the runaway process) and the
> tim> computer hangs solid after that (still pingable, but nothing else
> tim> works, not even VT switching or capslock toggle).

[...]
> If that is reproducible, could you give me a program/command line that
> shows the OOM. I also thougth that the OOM problems was gone.
>
> Later, Juan.

I have the following memory-eater which can repeatedly kill my box.

The symptoms: VT switching still works, unlike what I described above.
But other than that, the machine is that. After only a few seconds, the
computer stops taking any keyboard input. About half a minute later,
the first (more or less random) program is killed, and after that klogd
seems to be the victim once every minute or so.

The runaway debconf script had a worse effect on the system tho. I
don't know what else it did to cause problems.

I'm going to test pre9-5 now.

--Tim

/*
    eatmem.c

    If you have more memory than about 64MB RAM + 130MB swap, you might
    need to inrease the ARR_SIZE to get an OOM situation.

    Tim N. van der leeuw <t.n.vanderleeuw@chello.nl>
*/

#include <stdlib.h>

#define ARR_SIZE 1024*2048