Re: [RFC] Linux Kernel Benchmark Suite

From: Guus Sliepen (guus@warande3094.warande.uu.nl)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 10:37:54 EST

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Phil Wilshire wrote:

> There is a mailing list on
> realtimelinux.org
> which has been set up for this sort of discussion.

> Although it focussed on the RealTime aspects of the kernel I see no
> reason not to extend this to the Kernel in general.

I prefer linux-perf, not only because it's name and the fact that it
appears more general than a list at realtimelinux, but also because it has
more members, which will give this project more momentum.

> This is a bit of an "instant" reaction but I can help in the following ways:-

> 1.. help set up ( host even if required ) a web site to collect and
> distribute results.

I've already set up a (very preliminary) web page at
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~sliepen/lkbs/. I'll try to make Rik van Riel host
it on www.nl.linux.org (which is a portal site so many people will visit
it, and it has relations with lots of other Linux user groups), unless you
or someone else has an even better alternative ofcourse :).

> 2.. set up a database with web access to record / recover data.

Yes! This should definitely be done ASAP and in The Right Way(tm) so that
we'll really be able to extract meaningfull data from benchmarks.

> 3.. monitor and revise test methods as required

This has a very low priority IMO, even extremely buggy tests give
results. The correct interpretation of results is far more important than
how the tests were done. (It's not the question that matters but the
answer.)

> 4.. perform reference tests on selected hardware

Ofcourse :)

> 5.. help set up testers to do their own tests.

The LKBS should be so easy we don't need to help anyone.

> 6.. provide ftp site for test programs and results

Yes. Should be a computer with LARGE capacity I think (if this is really
going to work).

> 7.. help with the creation or maintenance of a testing FAQ.

Yes, but only after we have a fully functional test suite AND repository.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Guus Sliepen.