AW: AW: Promise Ultra66 -> FastTrak66

From: Martin Bene (mb@sime.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 02:41:07 EST

Hi Andre,

> > Well, it can still gain you some things even in linux:
> >
> > 1) having raid support in the bios increases chances of the system being
> > able to boot even if the firrst disk should be somewhat damaged
> > - if it's still visible to the bios but boot record /kernel can no
> > longer be read you'll need manual intervention to get the system back
> > up again with software raid.
>
> Wrong.......unless the kernel know how to read the RAID and determine
> faults.........will not happen. I managed to invoke hardware by accident
> an then tried to test the stablity of it by unpluging a drive........
> DEAD System..........

Oops, need to clarify: My comment above meant to reference hardware raid in
general, not the specific promise fasttrak controller - in case of this
controller, the bios raid indeed doesn't get you anywhere since there is no
linux driver to take over after the kernel loads.

[thinking about fat syslinux/kernel/initrd partition configured using bios
raid and rest of the disk using linux software raid --- nah, too ugly to
contemplate even if it should be possible]

Bye, Martin

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"
 Martin Bene vox: +43-316-813824
 simon media fax: +43-316-813824-6
 Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9 e-mail: mb@sime.com
 8010 Graz, Austria