AW: AW: Promise Ultra66 -> FastTrak66

From: Martin Bene (mb@sime.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 01:59:31 EST

Hi Alan,

> > 2) currently software raid can't be combined with the journaling ext3 or
> > reiserfs filesystems - which is a real pity. Raid 1/5 and a journaling
> > filesystem are such an obviously perfect match.
>
> Fixed for 2.3.x

Nice to hear, great.

> > to crash/power off the system at a moment when just one disk an
> updated raid
> > event counter, nest bootup will decide that this one disk is
> right and all
> > the others are wrong and will refuse to start up your raid array.
>
> Ditto hardware raid

I'd consider this a bug in the hardware raids bios just as I consider it a
bug in software raid. if I've got an 8-disk raid where 7 disks are in a nice
and consistent state and one is off in any way, I expect the array to come
online using the 7 disks and rejecting the devian one, not to keep the
deviant one, reject 7 disks as out of date and then complain that there's
not enough active disks to start the array.

So far, I've only seen this particular bug in software raid.

Bye, Martin

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"
 Martin Bene vox: +43-316-813824
 simon media fax: +43-316-813824-6
 Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9 e-mail: mb@sime.com
 8010 Graz, Austria