Re: 2.2.15 with eepro100: eth0: Too much work at interrupt

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 19:05:00 EST

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Dragan Stancevic wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2000, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> ; Think about what Donald is doing, and remember that inw() is not really
> ; inw() here!
> ;
> ; Remember first that eepro100 is generally MMIO, so you the following is
> ; in effect:
> ; #define inw writew
> ;
> ; So, by replacing the udelay() with writew(), Donald not only introduces
> ; a small delay, but also posts any pending PCI writes. That may be
> ; important, may be nothing...

> I think that inw there is just for timing purposes since the
> card/eeprom specification doesnt require anything else than a delay.
>
> I don't think using inw for timing is a good idea especially
> now that the driver tries to use MMIO and inw is redefined in the
> driver to use memory instead of io ports, the timing frequency
> changes so you might not satisfy the minimal clock frequency
> specification.

The very old code used eeprom_delay(100), which mean 100ns, *not* 100usec.

The 33Mhz PCI read alone was more than enough delay. Adding an extra read
assured that it would still with 66Mhz chips, and it insured that
both memory and I/O operations would have a bus arbitration cycle.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210
Annapolis MD 21403