Sockets in kernel space

From: Prairie Flower (wildrose@home.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 10:16:40 EST

I am having some trouble using sockets inside the kernel.

Background:

I have a client that I want to put into the kernel so that it is
executed just after the kernel configures the network via rarp or
bootp. Everything is compiling (almost lint free) but its not working
correctly.

The Problem:

The program is broken up into several files (obviously). One file has
procedures that make the socket connection, perform initial handshaking
and other mundain stuff. The real protocol procedures are in another
file and are called from the first.

The connect procedure succesfully builds a socket to the server. The
handshaking procedure succesfully shakes hands by reading and writing to
the new socket.

But then the protocol begins and none of the procedures in the second
file can access the socket. In fact nothing can access the socket after
the handshaking procedure returns. sys_select, sys_read, sys_write all
work perfectly in the handshaking procedure but just hang in all others.

I am I missing something obvious here? I don't want to (but I could)
stuff everything into one 10000 line procedure.....

Thanks for any input.

wildrose@home.com