AW: Promise Ultra66 -> FastTrak66

From: Martin Bene (mb@sime.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 15:31:59 EST

> > adapter to a raid controller. Linux finds the hard disks as if it
> > was a ordinary Ultra66 controller. But how do you get the RAID
> > stuff to work?
>
> The raid is in software. It gains you nothing much in Linux - we have our
> own software raid

Well, it can still gain you some things even in linux:

1) having raid support in the bios increases chances of the system being
able to boot even if the firrst disk should be somewhat damaged - if it's
still visible to the bios but boot record /kernel can no longer be read
you'll need manual intervention to get the system back up again with
software raid.

2) currently software raid can't be combined with the journaling ext3 or
reiserfs filesystems - which is a real pity. Raid 1/5 and a journaling
filesystem are such an obviously perfect match.

3) software raid still does have its rough edges; for example, if you manage
to crash/power off the system at a moment when just one disk an updated raid
event counter, nest bootup will decide that this one disk is right and all
the others are wrong and will refuse to start up your raid array.

Bye, Martin