[RFC] Linux Kernel Benchmark Suite

From: Guus Sliepen (guus@warande3094.warande.uu.nl)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 12:03:27 EST

Hello everybody,

Because of the recent performance problems with the latest kernels and all
the discussion around, mostly based on "the machine feels sluggish"
instead of "this version has a 13.5% drop in large writes to [...]", I
feel that a standard Linux kernel benchmark suite should be made. I've
already seen people using programs named "bonnie" or otherwise, but those
only test specific features of the kernel. Besides, I wouldn't know whom
to send the results of those tests too if I were to help and run these
benchmarks on my machines. So I suggest creating LKBS:

- includes test programs the kernel developpers have written
- runs somewhere early after booting (perhaps by starting it instead of
  /sbin/init, or in a seperate runlevel)
- records all relevant data from the machine (kernel version, config, cpu,
  memory, drives, etc.)
- puts all data together in easilly parsed (both human and machine
  ofcourse) file and sends it to a main benchmark repository
- should be free for download from a natural place
  (ftp.kernel.org, package for your $DISTRO) and easy to install/run.

I don't know what you think of it, or if there already are such things. If
not, I'd happily volunteer to start this project.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Guus Sliepen.