Re: Sony VAIO

From: Camm Maguire (camm@enhanced.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 10:12:51 EST

Greetings!

Adam Fritzler <mid@auk.cx> writes:

> I got myself a Sony VAIO PCG-F450 recently. Works great, except for a few
> things.
>
> 1) Is anyone working on an OSS driver for the YMF744? ALSA says
> "mid-May" but thats about it. They have the docs from yamaha on their
> site as well.
>
> 2) Anyone know a way to control the behavior of when you put the lid
> down? In Win98, it goes into suspend. In linux, it does nothing. I
> don't want suspend, but I would like it to shut the panel off.
>
> 3) The Fn brightness and contrast key combinations lock up the machine
> quite nicely. No idea why. Fn-F (to switch between video stretch and
> unstretched (for displaying non-XGA resolutions on the XGA LCD)) works
> just fine. But the others kill it. Any ideas? No kernel messages or
> anything. It'll do it before it gets to user space, so its a kernel
> difficulty.

And one more oddity here:

4) about 50% of the time, the cpu can't reboot -- i.e. after all
    filesystems are unmounted and the os shuts down and tries to reset
    the cpu, nothing happens, forcing a manual power-down.

Framebuffer X works great (vesa framebuffer) on this machine. The
only way I could find to make X work with this new video hardware.

Take care,