Re: 2.2.15 IDE is more than slow, it's broken!

From: Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 14:36:28 EST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:07:09 +0100 (BST)
> From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> To: Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: 2.2.15 IDE is more than slow, it's broken!
>
> > Since upgrading to 2.2.15 I've been unable to write a full backup using
> > dump. Keeps exploding with short reads (bread returns 0 or 512 when 1024 was
> > requested for example).
>
> Is the tape scsi or ide, does it share an IRQ with any ide device. Are you
> backing up /proc. What are the exact error strings.

     The tape drive is on a different machine (SCSI), using rdump.
I'm sorry, I didn't save the screen before rebooting to 2.2.14.

     The errors were occuring on /var/spool/mail which is a 10.9 GB partition
on the EIDE drive (last partition on the drive). All of the other partitions
are relatively small (2GB or less) and they all backed up OK, but it would
consistantly error out on /var/spool/mail. Badblocks would not find any bad
blocks, fsck wouldn't find any file system damage, and other than trying to
dump the file system, I didn't see any errors. But the errors went away under
2.2.14.