TSC patch was: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: Christopher Thompson (chris@hypocrite.org)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 15:33:16 EST

On Thu, 18 May 2000, you wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 01:24:25AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > To Do But Non Showstopper
> > -------------------------
> > Fix boards with different TSC per CPU and kill TSC use on them
>
> ... AND notebooks that vary CPU (and TSC) clock (Toshiba Satellite, IBM
> TThinkPad) to save power.

I have now completed and tested my second TSC patch. It is available at:
http://hypocrite.org/linux/tsc.patch.new.tar.gz

This works with 2.3.99-pre8 at least, probably most others. This one disables
use of the TSC by an option in the configuration (i.e. make config, make
menuconfig, whatever) and therefore has NO performance impact on TSC-enabled
kernels. The disadvantage is that this is another option to set in your
configuration.

The old patch is available at:
http://hypocrite.org/linux/tsc.patch.new.tar.gz

And works for at least 2.3.99-pre6 and pre8, probably most others. This one
doesn't use any configuration but rather, determines the situation on bootup.
There were some legitimate complaints about this.

I welcome comments and suggestions for improvement. I specifically would like
to know how well it works for you and whether it works on a laptop which varies
CPU speed (particularly an SMP laptop if such exists).

Just to note: Win2k *does* allow SMP machines with different speed CPUs,
despite several people's claims to the contrary.

--
Christopher Thompson  http://hypocrite.org/