Re: NFS & module

From: G. Hugh Song (hugh@lucia.kjist.ac.kr)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 03:25:11 EST

>From: Giuliano Pochini <pochini@denise.shiny.it>
> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:02:30 -0400
> Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
>
>I have this problem: when NFS support is compiled statically in
>the kernel, all works fine, but if I compile nfs/nfsd as modules,
>when I try to start nfs services I get:
>
>[root@localhost Giu]# cat /proc/modules
>nfs 32392 0 (unused)
>nfsd 149624 0 (unused)
>lockd 36092 0 [nfs nfsd]
>sunrpc 60848 0 [nfs nfsd lockd]
>[root@Jay Giu]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start
>Starting NFS services: [ OK ]
>Starting NFS statd: [ OK ]
>Starting NFS quotas: [ OK ]
>Starting NFS mountd: [ OK ]
>Starting NFS daemon:
>nfssvc: Function not implemented [FAILED]
>[root@localhost Giu]# _
>
>{LinuxPPC r5, kernel 2.2.15}
>
>Bye.

Wow. This is close to what I was experiencing.
BTW, make sure that you selected "Prompt for the development and
incomplete drivers" in the biginning. With 2.2.15, "make
xconfig" has some compatibility problem with the old .config
format. Only when the above is turned on, you will be able to
turn on the "nfsserver".

Anyway, in my case even with the that selection turned on,
nfsserver still does not work, about which I posted some time last week.
It is LinuxAlpha Kernel 2.2.16pre2 and pre3 with statically
compiled-in knfs/nfsserver support. With upto 2.2.15pre19, I have not had
such a trouble.

Unfortunately, Alan did not post the changlog for the change from
2.2.15pre19-20 to 2.2.15.

Regards,

G. Hugh Song