Re: Can O_SYNC be implemented by using fsync?

From: Bill Wendling (wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 15:01:28 EST

Also sprach Jesse Pollard:
} On Mon, 15 May 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
} >Bill Wendling wrote:
} >>
} >> Also sprach Pavel Machek:
} >>
} >> }
} >> I wouldn't count on that. If my failed patches were any indication, it's
} >> heavily used by apps like Netscape...
} >
} >Why the hell is Netscape doing this? Netscape is a browser/mail
} >program, not a multi-user database, or are you refering to the server
} >side of NetScape? This doesn't sound right! Why would Netscape need to
} >write-through files all the time -- for browser failover?
}
} I believe it is for the certificate database - you wouldn't want it damaged
} by software aborts - also the indexed history table. Yes, there is a
} lock on the directory, but it looks like there is a foundation for a
} shared history.

It also tends to happen after running for awhile. Could be part of it's
caching scheme...