Re: resource questions [initio driver fixes (?)]

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 13:40:35 EST

Thomas Graichen wrote:

> i posted this to the scsi list - but nobody answered - maybe
> someone here can help me ...
>
> a few days ago i postet here (and before at the scsi list) patches
> to get rid of the "Bad boy: i91u (at 0xc4a2b602) called us without a
> dev_id!" thing in the current (2.3.99-pre) kernels which seems to
> have gone into 2.2.16-pre3 ... now i have made the same with the
> other initio driver (a100u2w) and while doing this i did not
> really understand how the ressource allocation woks here ...
>
> in the _detect routine they both call request_irq and request_region
> but they never free them on module unload (there is no _release
> funtion calling fre_irq or release_region) ... is this done im-
> plicitley by the module unload code ? (i don't think so and thus
> added a simple _release function to them like in most other scsi
> drivers)

Your suspicions are correct -- there must be a corresponding free_irq
for every request_irq, and a corresponding release_region for every
request_region.

> the question remaining now for me is: what is the proper way of
> io and irq ressource management in linux now ? - does it somehow
> map all the pci ressources by itself or why are the ports already
> maped ? - can anyone please explain me a bit how all this would
> look like in a "perfect" driver ? (or point me to some doc about
> this ?)

If the driver is PCI, you should look into using the pci_register_driver
interface... (Documentation/pci.txt)

> one more quite small question: is the 0x100 correct in the
> request_region call (i would assume 0xff) of both initio
> drivers ? (ini9100u.c and inia100.c) - i would assume
> 0xff ...

Hardware specific, look at 'lspci' output or similar.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.