Re: Question on the TCP aliasing implementation.

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 03:52:53 EST

> the alias code isn't supposed to work as a real interface. and imho programs
> that expect to bind to a device not an ip are broken.

What about a situation where you have different physical devices on
different physical networks which share the same IP address? This is
perfectly legal and you have to bind to a specific device to know
where requests are coming from.

E.g. Samba 1.x couldn't handle this situation at all (2.x doesn't do
for my network either because of a different problem, but at least it
seems to handle all devices).

Olaf