pre9-pre2 + juan's patch: performance report

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 00:33:33 EST

I just upgraded to pre9-pre2 and added juan's patch for VM. This for
an SMP kernel on a dual PII-450, aic-7xxx SCSI, 148MB RAM.

VM performance overall is much better, but the problems that someone
else had with disk i/o (via dd) still apply to me as well. Its still
not possible to run a process that does streaming disk i/o without
inducing massive kernel "stalls" (times when a SCHED_FIFO thread does
not run). needless to say, i'm happy to see the VM situation somewhat
under control, but still very dismayed over the terrible disk
performance.

I also have a problem with ALSA modules not unloading correctly, but
this may well be in ALSA. There is some strange behaviour w.r.t a
process reading from a MIDI port using 100% of one of my CPU's. I've
been using this for a month or two, and have never seen this
before. Probably also be an ALSA issue.

--p