computer hangs when dd'ing from hdb to a file

From: Pierre Cyr (pcyr@po-box.mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 23:22:31 EST

Hi,

I would like to know if what I experienced qualifies as a bug or if I
just did something inherently stupid.

Here it goes:

I was trying to do a 1 to 1 copy of a data CD. I only have one CD (the
burner) in my machine so wanted to copy the image to my hard drive. For
some reason, I could not get the scd0 to work properly (even after doing
/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi). I was pretty sure I had my kernel (2.2.15)
config right following the CD-Writing HOWTO... So anyway, I didn't
have the time to fuss with the kernel and I tried: (with the CD not
mounted)

dd if=/dev/hdb of=cdimage

It started fine but after a while, the computer just froze completely
and I had to reset. I tried it once more and the computer froze again
after copying a different amount of data... and as you can imagine, I
didn't want to repeat it anymore at the risk of screwing up my
filesystem.

Is this a bug of dd, the kernel or did I just do something stupid trying
to use hdb that way?

Thanks,

Pierre
pcyr@po-box.mcgill.ca