[PIIX tuning hang] Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 03:35:37 EST

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, David Ford wrote:
>
> > > ToDo:
> >
> > NEC Versa LX w/ PIIX tuning causes lost interrupt and hang on boot at partition
> > check stage.
>
> Explain, please.....

Sure. (Prior to recent pre kernels, use the message "lost interrupt" instead of
"timeout waiting for DMA")

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: FUJITSU MHG2102AT, ATA DISK drive
hdc: MATSHITA CR-175, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 19640880 sectors (10056 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=1222/255/63, UDMA(33)
hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.08
Partition check:
 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0:hda: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14

The harddrive LED is now stuck on and the machine is forever hung, I must turn the
power off and back on before anything works.

> > > Use PCI DMA 'lost interrupt' problem with some hw [which ?]
> >
> > Unless someone else has reported this, you can change this to PIIX tuning on the
> > NEC Versa LX laptop.
>
> Explain again, please.....

I previously reported this under 'use DMA by default' which turned out to actually be
wrong. The PIIXn tuning option is available only when the DMA/default option is
enabled.

Turning on PIIXn tuning causes the system to hang at the above.

The .config file is located at http://stuph.org/config-2.3.99-pre9-2.PIIX
The lspci output is located at http://stuph.org/lspci-2.3.99-pre9-2

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

-d