Re: [SCARED] Is ext2 unreliable?

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 03:10:47 EST

Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 06:50:46PM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Perhaps the real bug here is too much error output from e2fsck.
> Mere orphan files should give one message "deleting orphan file --
> system shut down while file in use?" or similar.

We have always erred on the side of caution here --- assume that it
is better to tell the user what is happening than to make assumptions
about the inconsistencies, perhaps incorrectly. For example, if the
cause of the corruption was in fact a corrupt inode block rather than
an orphaned file, you might still get the same initial symptom, zero
nlink and non-zero dtime, but you would definitely want to warn about
any further discrepancies.

A verbosity switch for e2fsck might be useful, though.

--Stephen