FW: sbpcd freezes the system on 2.3.99-pre6-SMP

From: narancs1@mail.externet.hu
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 02:52:39 EST

I'm looking for emoenke@gwgd.de as his mailer says, his does not exists!
This mail is for everyone interested in sbpcd module

-----FW: sbpcd freezes the system on 2.3.99-pre6-SMP-----

Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:31:00 +0200 (CEST)
From: narancs1@mail.externet.hu
To: eomoenke@gwgd.de
Subject: sbpcd freezes the system on 2.3.99-pre6-SMP

Dear Developer!

I used to have a panasonic/matsushita CR-562 2x cdrom drive with interface card.
Those days It ran my linux perfectly.
Now that I have a dual cele abit bp6, 128 mb ram, 40x asus idecd, 8 gb hd,
ne2k-pci net, 33.6 internal modem, sblive pci, ati mach64 agp stuff,
I run SMP 2.3.99-pre series.

Because I can't use my cdrom drive listeting to audio and mp3 cds
while using isofs data cds - I decided to buy a cheap used gear with the same
params.

OK. It took me an hour to guess what jumpers mean on the card,
now I still don't really know which is which, but it is now at 0x300, lasermate

After loading the module and trying to mount an isofs the mount prg goes
segfault, with lots of numbers (registers, stacks?) printed on the screen.
Some seconds later, NMI watchdog detected lockup on cpu 0 ...
As I have two cpus, it doesn't die so fast, I have time to see the messages
alt-sysrq doesn't help.

So
is this code SMP safe yet? May be not!
Is the iface card conflicts with some other?
May the iface card gets freeze 'cos of the system bus of 100mhz mems?
What irqs should i set on the card?

To tell the truth, I've just compiled the module, but not the kernel.

Thanks for your great work on linux!
Narancs v1

--------------End of forwarded message-------------------------