Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: Blu3 (david@killerlabs.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 01:20:12 EST

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> So fix them - not to mention the fact that GUI suid-root anything is a
> _really_ scary idea, if application wants to have <foo> done at most once
> it should not call <foo> the second time.

I agree, broken apps should be fixed. However some apps may use the
de-facto mount-once standard. GUI suid happens. It's the only way to
access raw devices from a user. GUI suid is the same suid as any other
really.

> > Why the change in expected behavior, why allow the same mount to happen
> > numerous times?
>
> What does "same" mean here?

mount /dev/floppy/0 /floppy
mount /dev/floppy/0 /floppy
mount /dev/floppy/0 /floppy
mount /dev/floppy/0 /floppy

shows four mounts exactly the same.

> > BTW, the FS busy is broken. If I mount the floppy on /floppy and /mnt, edit
> > /floppy/file in one term, /mnt/file2 in another term, I can change to
> > a third term and unmount both /mnt and /floppy even with the files still in
> > use.
>
> Very funny... Kernel version, please? If files are indeed opened - that's
> a bug. If editor had opened the file, read it and closed - well, nothing
> to do here.

2.3.99-pre9-2, I'll check this. It's quite possible it opens/closes when
necessary.

--
Ok, the in use flag appears to operate correctly, strike the previous
report.

-d