Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: Blu3 (david@killerlabs.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 00:51:51 EST

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > 2.3.99-pre9-1, I'm able to mount the floppy any given number of times
> > over and over without unmounting it. No errors seem to happen and
> > umount needs to happen for each mount before the device is no longer in
> > use.
>
> And that's a bug which way? Yes, we have multiple mounts now. Yes, fs is
> busy until you undo each mount (obviously). Yes, you can mount over the
> mountpoint. You are getting precisely what you are asking for - operation
> used to be illegal, but now it's perfectly OK. So it succeeds. What's the
> problem?

It's a matter of surprise. I can easily imagine the point and click user
tapping their icon to mount numerous times expecting to see the cdrom or
floppy spin and see nothing all the while not realizing they are compounding
the mounts. Be it their cdrom, it won't eject until they have unmounted the
right mount with a cwd set. I vaguely recall several gui mount utils that
store the mounted/not mounted status within themselves and likely break.

This leaves a frustrated (gui) user most likely rebooting and swearing at
Linux because he can't get his cdrom out.

Why the change in expected behavior, why allow the same mount to happen
numerous times?

BTW, the FS busy is broken. If I mount the floppy on /floppy and /mnt, edit
/floppy/file in one term, /mnt/file2 in another term, I can change to
a third term and unmount both /mnt and /floppy even with the files still in
use.

It is only flagged in use if I have a shell cwd in them. If I cd into /mnt
I can't unmount it naturally. Editing /mnt/file however..

-d