Re: Writing Device Drivers for Linux

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 07:50:51 EST

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Bernd Harries wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> - Is there a cookbook on how to write device drivers,
> and is there support to automatically integrate them
> into the kernel build process? (eg. like in DEC Unix)

Alessandro Rubini's Linux Device Drivers book is very good to get into the
"spirit of all good things". However, it is of course obsolete, just like
any other book on Linux, but still highly recommended. Also, he is
updating the book for 2.2/2.4 so presumably the result should be as good
(or better) as the first edition.

H. Peter Arvin = hpa@transmeta.com or hpa@zytor.com

> - Would the world want me to stay in a special directory
> with the new stuff? Or is it ok to take drivers/char/ ?

drivers/char should be ok, unless your driver is very big (more than one
file) and deserves a subdirectory of its own.

> We must reach world domination!

Of course.

> Ciao,

Regards,