Filesystem Performance and buffer cache

From: Balbir Singh (balbir.singh@wipro.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 04:52:16 EST

Hi,
        I am not on the mailing list of linux-kernel, but I wanted some
clarification on the kernel.

Recently, I tried to copy a huge file from one directory to another (on
the same filesystem), the size was about 100 MB. Since the filesize was
huge, I started a "cp" in the background, I tried proceeding to normal
activity on the same filesystem on which the copy was progressing.
I felt stuck (i could not do anything)

Some analysis of the code revealed that the "cp" I started had filed all
IO buffer queues by initiating many bwrites, so no other normal IO on the
same filesystem (may be started by a touch command) could proceed.

What I want to know is

1. Is my analysis of the code correct or was there some other reason ?

2. Is it possible to provide a solution to this problem or is there any
known solution ?

3. If 2 above is false, could we discuss a solution.

Thanks,
Balbir Singh.

PS: Please mail me at balbirs@wipro.wipsys.sequent.com since I am not on
the linux-kernel mailing list.