Kernel 2.2.7, fsync() and EIO

From: Michael Marxmeier (mike@msede.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 03:40:45 EST

Hi all.

A customer is frequently encountering a fsync() returning EIO,
usually if the system has some noticeable I/O load.
This does not look like a disk error since there is no message
in the syslog and reading the disk (eg. tar) works w/o a problem.

The system is SCSI based (probably Adaptec controller).
Acessed files in are on an ext2 filesystem and rather large
(each > 1 GB).

Are there other reasons for fsync() to return an EIO besides
a real I/O error? Anyone remember something like this in the
2.2.7 kernel? Does it make sense to update the kernel to a more
recent one just in case?

I appreciate any help/pointer/comment.

Thanks
Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike@msede.com      Besenbruchstrasse 9