Re: Best way to extend try_to_free_pages()?

From: frankeh@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 20:51:17 EST

This is exactly what we would like to see.
In kernel memory caches, such as web server accelerators etc., can take
great advantage of this.

We have been building something similar for this purpose, but if you guys
are willing to put this in, all the better.

I assume everything could register as a first class citizen, including file
cache, etc.....
Some thoughts along the line.
Would it make sense to priorities such <kernel-memory-clients>.
Wouldn't it make sense to specify the number of pages as part of the
interface?
Do you assume fairness among memory clients based on the cyclic queue if
priorities is not desirable.
One can think of the cost of dropping a page in one subsystem to be higher
as in a different subsystem.

Anyway... I am all for it ....

-- Hubertus

Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>@kvack.org on 05/16/2000 08:16:51 PM