Re: Proposal: int (permission*)(struct dentry *, int)

From: Eric Werme USG (werme@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 12:43:15 EST

   Instead, expect _sane_ semantics. The same way you have to do magic things
   for NFS locking if you're a mail client that wants to handle atomicity, a
   networked filesystem doesn't have to try to maintain exact UNIX behaviour.

   A sane definition of "same file" over a network is, after all, "same
   naming". What more is there?

How about "same file" is "same bag-o-bits"? Yeah, I've been working on
Unix too long. :-)

   If you're thinking "same inode", then you're not thinking about a
   networked filesystem. You're thinking about a distributed UNIX filesystem.
   Which is a different thing.

Well, I'm no PC expert, but if my wife makes \\liberty be drive L: on Win98,
she can access the same bag-o-bits with different pathnames.

   To get "same file" semantics, you acquire a lease on the file. There's no
   question about that. But that is an issue that has nothing at all to do
   with the _name_ of the file, whether that be a ASCII pathname or a
   "filehandle". Understand that. A "lease" on a file is a real thing, and
   gives you the guarantees you want - and has absolutely nothing to do with
   naming.

Which is one of the nice things about file handles. Hmm. What happens
on Windows if I copy, err, drag, \\liberty\foo to L:foo? My wife has
been pretty testy lately. Maybe I better leave well enough alone.

What do you mean by lease in this context:

  wasted 67% cp foo bar
  cp: bar and foo are identical (not copied).

Open foo, get lease for read-but-no-writes-by-anyone, open bar, get
lease (nowait) for truncate-and-write-okay, then try the copy?

        -Ric Werme