Blackouts in 2.2.14

From: Dori Seliskar (Dori.Seliskar@select-tech.si)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 11:44:57 EST

Hi,

I have a big problem with "blackouts" on our server.
Very often machine just slows down heavily, for example
in this occasions I can do ls -l just fine , but can not
start for example w , top , ps ax or login.

The most peculiar thing is that after it recovers (up to few minutes)
loadavg is normal under 0.5.

There is no errors in dmesg or any log. The server is our
production server with openldap.

The same is happening with Redhat kernel and standard 2.2.14.

Configuration is as follows:

Intel L440GX+ (Barberra) Box
Adaptec AIC7896N
Dual PII 450
256 RAM
Redhat 6.2
kernel 2.2.14 + raid-2.2.14-B1 patch

Please advise me where to start looking for problems.

Regards,

Dori Seliskar
SELECT Technology