Re: [SCARED] Is ext2 unreliable?

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 10:27:33 EST

* Sasi Peter (sape@iq.rulez.org) [000516 17:22]:
> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > 1. You are using usb patches
>
> For my mouse, yes

Does hardly matter, since it patches the kernel at all. If there are
problems, re-test with baseline ftp.*.kernel.org kernels.

> > 2. You are using raid patches
>
> For all of my partitions, 'cause they are striped/mirrored on the
> different disks.

Use a reliable hardware RAID if you're for reliability. Note
RAID-mirroring does not help against any of the other problems that you
experienced.

> > 3. You are using ide patches.
>
> Because the machine is loaded, and I nedd DMA for all of the drives + I
> have a CDROM too.

You problem if you're buying an ATAPI CDROM drive. Get a good SCSI
adaptor and never think about DMA again. Consider getting a
multiple-IDE-disks-to-SCSI-adaptor.

> > It could be a bug in any of the above. It could be a problem with the disk.
> > It could be a problem with the ram. It could be a problem with the cabling.
>
> I do not know too much about the disk layout of ext2, but what I have
> written about the fsck run makes me think it should be a kernel bug
> (errors are somewhat consistent, like zeroed counts, and all blocks bitmap
> diferring)

It could be a RAID problem, it could be a hardware problem.

> I cannot run it w/o the patches, but the box is under heavy pressure all
> the time, ~160 samba connections and ~80 NFS connections concurrently,
> doing ~6.6MBytes/s sustained transfer rate on the eth. interface.

So you're in trouble. If you're willing to test, you might eventually
get fixes. If you're unable to test, you're not getting fixes at all.