2.2.14 and IP routing weirdness with IP aliases

From: Kevin M. Myer (kevin_myer@iu13.k12.pa.us)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 10:20:27 EST

Hello,

I have come across what appears to be a slight problem in the
implimentation of IP routing when IP aliasing is used in the 2.2.X kernel
series. Basically, the problem is this:

1) I define two IP addresses for my eth0 interface, 172.21.1.2 (primary -
eth0) and 172.21.1.32 (secondary - eth0:0).

2) I send a packet to 172.21.1.2.

3) I receive a response from 172.21.1.32

This doesn't seem right to me. I would expect that if I send a packet to
the primary interface (eth0), the response would come from the primary
interface (eth0) and not eth0:0. This really breaks the notion of a
4-tuple socket pair and is causing me some headaches with failed data
connections, especially backups.

This problem doesn't appear to exist in 2.0.X, as a packet sent to one
interface returns through that interface. I have not tested 2.3.X.

If anyone could commment or if this is the way things are supposed to
work, please explain why its done this way.

By the way, this problem was seen with Red Hat Linux 6.1 (2.2.X) but not
with Red Hat Linux 5.2 (2.0.X kernel). I only have access to Red Hat
boxes so it would be nice if someone could test this on another
distribution to confirm that this is really a kernel problem and not an
init script problem with route setup.

Thanks,

Kevin

--