Re: More simultaneous language support for console besides one?

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@mail.cern.ch)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 09:55:27 EST

 : Hi,
 : I'm using the lynx web browser and must select the language font I
 : want to display (besides English) one at a time. :( This isn't nice
 : ,especially if one wants to view russian, hebrew, chinese/japan/korean,
 : arabic .... all on the console screen at once, and be different for each
 : virtual console. I've compiled into the kernel, support for all the code
 : pages and NLS support - unicode support isn't selectable.
 :

this concerns only filesystem and has nothing to do with the console

 :
 : Is there anyway that future linux kernels will display more than one
 : foreign font on the console and virtual console at the same
 : time? I realize that Xwindows and other such GUI s/w pkgs can display
 : them, but I'd like to see the console do it too.

check out dynafont (part of fonty package):
http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/programy/linux/fonty/

it is a wrapper around program which dynamically loads needed fonts as
they are sent to the output

Although I tried it only once and was not able to make it work quite
satisfactory :-)