Re: Can O_SYNC be implemented by using fsync?

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 03:17:47 EST

> I argue for implementing the syncing stuff on the page cache,
> this way you could use the code also for NFS (fsync(),
> fdatasync() and/or O_SYNC).

NFS already does O_SYNC correctly. Look carefully at the
'if (synchronous)' case at then end of nfs_updatepage().

That said, if you were thinking of changing the f_ops->fsync to sync
on a subrange of the file

  file->fsync(file, page->index_begin, page->index_end);

or something along those lines, then that is something that might make
sense as a generic way of implementing O_SYNC. That could then be put
into generic_file_write().

Cheers,
  Trond