Re: Bad handling of .0 and .255 addresses

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 23:52:25 EST

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Simon Richter wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > Actually, it's should be up to the network maintainer. I
> > believe some of the large networks intentionally deny packets of
> > this type in order to avoid DoS attacks against them or their
> > customers.
>
> Which is senseless in a classless world. The broadcast adresses for my
> networks at home are .63 and .127. So only the last hop can decide.

        Heh, I doubt your network at home is going to cause much trouble
if all your machines decide to respond to a ping. I've run across quite
a number of places that use /24's for networks because it was convienant
at the time. I suspect .0 and .255's are much more common as broadcast
addresses, and hence much more likely to be targeted in a DoS attack.
        It may technically not seem to make much sense, but we don't
really care so much what *technically* makes sense, I think we more care
about preventing the DoS's, and, well, script-kiddies don't always tend
to follow what technically makes sense.

                Stephen