device busy on reboot with 2.3.99-pre5?

From: ying@almaden.ibm.com
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 12:29:48 EST

Hi,

I ran 2.3.99-pre5 on a 2-way Pentium machine. For some reason, whenever I
reboot, I'd get "device busy" message
for my /var file system during file system unmount stage (sometimes /usr
file system too, if I used my /usr file system while the system is up).
Both of these systems are ext2 fs. I have shm and devpts mounted under
/var/. I don't start any of my own applications at all. The stuff running
on
the system is mostly from /etc/rc.d/init.d/xxx.
Although this problem does not seem to hurt anything at the moment, I
suspect there may be other problems later on. If I load a different kernel
image, say, 2.3.99-pre3 or 2.3.51, I don't see such a problem.

Any ideas?

Ying