RE: NexGen detection

From: Thomas S. Iversen (zensonic@diku.dk)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 10:10:14 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:

> Is this true of all NexGen chips ?

Well, according to opcode.lst on http://www.chat.ru/~phg
I get:

"Note: Some Last NexGen Nx586 support CPUID instruction, but never
 support ID flag in EFALGS, so check it with #UD hook."

> What do the family/model/revision fields of /proc/cpuinfo say
> on this processor ?

On my particular processor, I get:

processor : 0
vendor_id : NexGenDriven
cpu family : 5
model : 15
model name : 04/0f
stepping : 15
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : no
fpu_exception : no
cpuid level : 1
wp : no
flags :
bogomips : 67.17

.... but the way I got this was to modify head.S to do something
else. NexGen's get caught on the 386 detection and will therefor be
detected as a 386 unless something else is done. I modified a line in
head.S (basically broke it for a test). Made the "je is386" stand as it
was, but moved the "is386:" label up to the cpuid routine. After that I
got the output above. Something is clearly wrong with the model name :)

Yours THomas

Thomas S. Iversen
zensonic@diku.dk
Dept. of computer science - copenhagen, denmark.