Re: Asynch I/O overloaded 2.2.15/2.3.99

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 07:00:24 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 03:50:22PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Also, do I have to
> call run_task_queue(&tq_disk) call all the time to get the AIO subsystem
> to post the buffer-head request. If I don't call it, then the AIO's
> just sit there and get processed about one every 10 seconds (???).

Correct. You are required to submit the run_task_queue yourself.
That's the whole point of that task queue.

The idea is that if you have a series of AIO requets to submit, then
you send them to ll_rw_block in whatever order you want, and then you
run the task queue to start them off. The entire reason for the task
queue is to delay processing of the requests until the whole batch
has been queued, so that we can merge together and reorder the requests
as effectively as possible.

--Stephen