/proc/net/dev reporting on virtual interfaces

From: Web Master (wwwadmin@wizard.ca)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 18:05:37 EST

Simple question!, can the kernel report virtual interface traffic in
/proc/net/dev?

Done a lot of searching, and there is little to be found on this
subject.
Will have to write a definitive how-to on bandwidth tracking when I get
this all sorted out.
But I seem to have to resolve some basic issues, before working on the
SNMP and MRTG issues.

New kernels (aka 2.2.x) do not show me virtual device stats anymore in
/proc/net/dev

I get several different answers on whether kernels can still report
traffic on a per interface basis, depending on who I talk to, so back to
the kernel lists et al.

of course, basics are covered, ifconfig reports correctly the virtual
devices, but only the base device (ie eth0) is reported in /proc/net/dev
and not the others (ie eth0:0, eth0:1...)

Michael