Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

From: Richard June (rjune@ims1.imagestream-is.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 17:19:04 EST

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Ed Carp wrote:

> David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com) writes:
>
> > It's much like the "DDK like" thing SCO and others were pushing for
> > a Linux implementation of, the core incentive is the same, make binary
> > only drivers more feasible under Linux. This is why all of these
> > efforts tend to smell bad to me.
>
> It's all a trick so they can take, take, take from the Open Source community
> and not have to give anything back in return. We're being ripped off...
Uhmmm.... no. we're not ripping anyone off. we've had quite a few requests
for source, and I've personally pushed for it since I started. and as we
base our routers on Linux it would be a bad thing to piss off the
developer community.

> > It's amusing how so many companies want to have that Linux checkbox,
> > and the extremes they'll go to in order to retain binary only drivers
> > at the same time.
>
> They want the marketing and hype benefits of being able to use the linux
> name, but they don't want to give back to the community. But that's
> typical of a fair number of companies that've jumped on the linux
> bandwagon - all take and no give. Maximize profit, to hell with the
> spirit of the GPL and Open Source...bah, humbug.

This is us trying to back to the community. What we've made free we've
made free. what we haven't we haven't. yes we've purposely not released
source to everything, however we can't do that right now.