Re: Possible problem with ACCEPT/CONNECT in

From: Peter Zaitsev (pz@spylog.ru)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 06:33:01 EST

> Try to increase the local port range on the clients. Otherwise you may
> get stuck on port reuse timeouts. Each combination (source ip,
> source port, dest ip, dest port) is reserverd for MAX_TTL seconds before
> it can be reused in the Internet because there may be some packets left
> from the previous connections that are traveling around and that reach
> the destination after the connection has been closed. These packets may
> break the protocol. So there's a delay of 255 s to make sure all the
> packets have died. SO_REUSEADDR may also affect the behaviour if this is
> the problem.

The problem is this repeats in real word then clients are different IP
adress.
I'll just explain the Working Enviroment. I use Linux for web statistics
system, Something like HitBox or Extreme-DM. Now my server servers something
about 100 request per second. Each request includes connect. Trasfer just a
small amount of data in a both directions (HTTP request and small gif file
in a reply). The problem is in Rush hours I have some connects going really
slow - it may take more then 10 seconds to connect the server, sometime
Browsers even timeout because of this. The server is not loaded to much -
so this seems strange... Also I never got anything like connection refused
error or such stuff. If you make you own test you'll se the client will
connect but sometimes it takes more then 10 minutes to connect :(
The other thing seems really strange to me - it it will not connect withing
a second connect times are 3,9,21,45... second. What are this magic numbers
? Any Ideas ?