Re: Makefile cleanups

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 05:05:15 EST

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.1000406032638.28046A-100000@localhost>,
Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org> wrote:

>The ncurses detection was horribly ugly and broke on
>a) systems where libncurses was installed in /usr/local/lib

    That's funny -- isn't /usr/local/lib one of the standard places
    where cc looks for libraries?

    In any case, that patch went in because the original code was
    failing because libncurses lived in /usr/elf/lib, and even though
    gcc knew to look there, the lxdialog script didn't. Will your
    patch find libncurses when it's in some arbitrary location that
    the C compiler knows about?

>If you are encouraging people to do things the way way lxdialog did it,
>I can only say "God have mercy on our souls".

    The current lxdialog method uses the compiler to check and see if
    the libraries it needs are available. This is GOOD; don't break
    this behavior.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ /usr/aout/lib, /usr/elf/lib, /usr/gl*bc2/lib, ...
                   \/