Re: Keyboard delay and repeat rate

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 18:17:56 EST

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 01:08:51AM +0200, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> It *works*. In case you'd like to see a full (commented) log of bytes
> sent to and from the i8042, I can provide that as well.
>
> I think I know where your problem stems from. You have to explicitely
> *enable* break codes in Set 3 by issuing the ATKBD_CMD_SETALL_MB (0xf8)
> command.
>
> Yes, precisely. What I describe is the default situation, but indeed,
> one can either on a key-by-key basis or for all keys at once
> enable or disable key repeat and the production of break codes.

So this means that Set 3 is not unusable as stated in the mail I was
originally replying to.

> (But again: this only works on certain systems, while scancode set 2
> works everywhere; I agree immediately that set 3 is much more elegant,
> and that it is a pity that nobody uses it, but now that the code for
> set 2 is required anyway, and works everywhere, I cannot see any
> advantage in also having the code for set 3. And in the end precisely
> the same keycodes must be produced, otherwise one's keymap would depend
> on keyboard settings.)

Well, in my drivers it's just one table more and the code to switch to
Set 3 (if enabled by a module parameter), which isn't much additional
code - it's a nice feature and I think it's worth the few hundred bytes
of data/code. I agree that adding Set 3 support to current drivers isn't
reasonable.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs