Re: PCI Problems in 2.2.14 / 2.3.99pre3

From: Martin Mares (mj@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 14:08:44 EST

Hello!

> 1)The problem seems to happen only with PLX9050-based cards. The card
> used to shift the memory address was PLX9060-based, and although it got
> the same memory address that the other card had previously (when the
> system locked up), it didn't lock up the system this time.
>
> 2)The problem does NOT happen with all motherboards, and the only
> system in which we were able to replicate the problem here was this one.
>
> 3)I tried using "BIOS", "Direct" and "Any" i nthe PCI Access Mode in the
> Linux kernel config., with no changes in the behavior.
>
> 4)If I boot Windows NT in the same system configuration that locks up
> Linux, the system does NOT lock up and the Cyclom-Y card works fine.
>
> (1) and (2) made me think that the problem was related to our hardware
> (i.e., some incompatibility between this PCI chipset and our PLX9050-based
> boards), but (4) shows that this HW combination works.
>
> Could anybody give any suggestions on this problem, please?!?!?! Comments
> / suggestions / questions / requests for more info / anything would be
> really appreciated.

   Can you send me `lspci -vvx' output for the customer's machine
and for the configuration you've reported the card to work if its
address is shifted?

   Can you try isolating the exact place of lockup to a single memory
access?

                                Have a nice fortnight

--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> <mj@suse.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"How an engineer writes a program: Start by debugging an empty file..."