Re: English spelling? Yes! (was: Re: Shmem filesystem? DevFS?

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 12:59:21 EST

Paul writes:

> Now, 'hard disk' is really a completely new word that hasn't quite
> integrated itself as slickly as the 'floppy' [disk], but has managed to
> outlive his cousin 'winchester' (or that rouge 'bernoulli'). [awh, freebsd
> just changed wd0 to ata0 :]

If we were to do this right: DASD

That is Direct Access Storage Device, the IBM term for normal block
devices. This includes disk, drum, and NVRAM cards. It does not
include tape and punched cards.

I'd be quite happy with /dev/dasd/* files. Of course I'd still prefer
the SysV /dev/dsk/c2t8d0s3 or even "disk".

To me, "disc" is as bad as "d15|<". It grates on my nerves.